Welcome to my blog, I am working towards producing a music video accompanied by ancillary texts for the track It's OK by Atomic Kitten
OUR TRACK: Atomic Kitten It's OK

Monday 1 July 2013

Feedback and Reflection of MiniVid

In class my cut of the MiniVid was shown and everybody gave their feedback and constructive criticism of what I could've done to improve it.

Repeat Loop
They told me to start with that the repeat loop at the beginning and throughout was very effective, but there were other places where it could be used and look effective for example the opening shot as he is walking outside. It was also pointed out later in the video that the repeat loop would have been more effective if it had been timed better with the music as there were prominent times in the music that it would have fitted better to. An example of this would be the football repeat loop landing on the drum roll just after.

Layering
Another idea they had which would have worked well was if I had layered into the lenses of the sunglasses Jake was wearing. As they were mirrored sunglasses this would've been easy to do and could've of been a good way of linking the narrative and the lip syncing sections. They also suggested that the opacity levels at the end on the layering need to be changed as the layers didn't stand out enough.

Flashbacks
When storyboarding the video, it would have been a good idea to use some flashbacks. This was pointed out by the class and would've worked well as we didn't have much relation to the lyrics and the narrative.

Low Angles Shots
Throughout the video the main character is meant to look dominant and in control. Therefore, we should have used low angled shots to anchor this.

Jump Cuts
The class said that it would have been effective to use jump cuts on the lip syncing when words were repeated. This would have added extra shot variety and been effective.

Cone Kick
When Jake kicks the cone it has little effect in my cut. To improve this I could have made the whole frame shake which would have anchored his dominance again by making it look like he has the power to do that.

Ending
The end of my video isn't very good. I could have improved it by either giving it a narrative ending or a fade at least. I could have also added more effects to an early section and added it to the end for a rounded ending.

My Reflections
Even though my video could have been a lot better and there is room for a lot of improvement, I was reasonably happy with what I managed to achieve in the short time that we all had. With more time I think I would have recognised a lot more of the flaws that were in the video and could have tried to experiment with more effects and get a better understanding of final cut pro. Even though I do feel I am more knowledgeable with the software I think further tasks such as the ClassVid will help me to extend this.



No comments:

Post a Comment